Thursday, October 27, 2005

Recipe for a Chilly Fall Day

Here in Michigan, it's overcast and chilly. Anyone care to join me for a steamy pasty? (No, not that kind...I'm talking about the Cornish meat pies!) Anyway, I thought I'd share this delicious recipe today:

Upper Peninsula Pasties
~
Filling:
2 # ground sirloin
2 # chopped potatoes
½ # chopped onion
¼ # diced carrots
¼ # chopped turnips and/or rutabaga
1 T salt
¼ t pepper
1 stick melted butter
~
Pastry:
6 C flour
1 T baking powder
1 T salt
1 t sugar (heaping)
1-7/8 C shortening
1-7/8 C milk
  1. Mix all filling ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
  3. For pastry: sift flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening and add milk to make a dough.
  4. Divide into 12 balls (I usually make a baker’s dozen…).
  5. Roll out dough; place 1/12th of filling on half; fold the dough over and prick the edges with a fork. Prick the tops.
  6. Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes and then at 275 degrees for 60 minutes.

These are delicious, and freeze very well.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I was just told by another resident of western Michigan that you can only get proper pasties in the UP itself.

Now I'm confused ^_^

1:31 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Nim,

These are the bestest ever. But then, remember, I went to college in the UP...

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMM......Love meat pies!!!!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom used to make pasties once in a while. We'd eat 'em with butter on top, or sometimes ketchup. You can get 'em with brown gravy at diners in the UP too.

Say yah to da UP, eh?

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya. Youse can only get pasties in Da U.P. dere, eh?

But, don't get any from Toivo or Anho. Dey mighta pulled dem pasties outta da pocket of dere mackinac dat dey pulled outta da hole of the sithouse, eh?

Yah.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Tlazolteotl said...

Mmmm...rooterbegars!

I may have to try these, when I have time to make the pastry. I have vegan recipes on my blog, if you are interested. I'm not an anti-meat crusader or anything, but I live with a vegan, so that's about half of what I cook at home. The other part....well, I suppose I ought to post my Chicken Taverna recipe. (fadedflowers.blogspot.com)

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home