Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Tuesday Poetry Blogging

Mark Strand was born in 1934 ~ the same year as my father. Let's highlight a poem of his today, in keeping with my underpinnings of honoring men who were born in 1934. It's been at least 25 years since I stumbled across Strand's poetry. I appreciate his clarity with words, and the surrealism in his poetry. I read the following piece as a brilliant illumination of that moment at which our intuition hits us, only to be comprehended and explored more fully at a later point in time. What's your take on this poem?

A Piece of the Storm
Excerpted from Blizzard of One
by Mark Strand
(For Sharon Horvath)
~~~
From the shadow of domes in the city of domes,
A snowflake, a blizzard of one, weightless, entered your room
And made its way to the arm of the chair where you, looking up
From your book, saw it the moment it landed.
That's all There was to it. No more than a solemn waking
To brevity, to the lifting and falling away of attention, swiftly,
A time between times, a flowerless funeral. No more than that
Except for the feeling that this piece of the storm,
Which turned into nothing before your eyes, would come back,
That someone years hence, sitting as you are now, might say:
"It's time. The air is ready. The sky has an opening."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd never read that before; it's lovely!

Hecate

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite Strand poem:

The Coming of Light

Even this late it happens:
the coming of love, the coming of light.
You wake and the candles are lit as if by themselves,
stars gather, dreams pour into your pillows,
sending up warm bouquets of air.
Even this late the bones of the body shine
and tomorrow's dust flares into breath.

I was introduced to the poem by the love of my life who gave it to me 5 years ago; I keep a copy of it in my wallet, although I now know it by heart.

My love died of pancreatic cancer 15 months ago, six months after he was diagnosed.

There are no words I have that will help, but I wish you and your father the best at this time; I know how difficult it can be.

c

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home